How To Improve FPS In Any Game (UPDATED)
- 2017.08.17 06:45
UPDATED: 23.07.2019 15:30
Solid frame rates per second are elementary for positive gaming experience but in many cases fps can drop to under 30ms or even less. What are the reasons for such fps drop? How to increase fps in your game successfully? In this article we will answer you this questions, give you tips and show you some tricks to increase fps in almost every game.
How To Improve Fps Or Fix Fps Problems
In today's time leading motherboard, CPU and graphics card manufactures like Intel, AMD or Nvidia producing already very technology advanced products specially made for gamers. All of them offering Software to tune and tweak the settings of their Hardware to get the best performance out of it. Yet there are still millions of gamers out there that struggle with fps drops or permanent low fps values in their games.
How is it possible that fps drops or is low even with the best Hardware involved?
Before answering this questions we need to explain some basics about fps in games!
What is Fps?
In gaming, frame rates per second or short fps is the time needed to animate single images in game to be displayed in motion (animated) on the gamers monitor. As more single images can be processed to be displayed in a second as higher is the performance outcome of the animation. Common sense in the gamer world is that fps also has an impact of the quality of the animation as higher the fps as higher the animation quality.
In short and easy understandable it could be said that FPS stands for performance and quality of the visual game environment. High fps values is faster performance and better graphics quality. Low FPS is slower performance and lower graphics quality.
“But to be technically correct FPS doesn't apply on quality rather on performance but the performance has impact on the quality!”
Why Fps Drops Or Is Low?
There is a hole industry with thousands of engineers producing high end Hardware and related Software to guarantee gamers high FPS values. And yet, almost every gamer experienced fps drop or low FPS in the one game or other at least once in his gamer life. Why?
Are the Hardware and Software engineers not good enough?
Are the Hardware devices like Motherboard, CPU, RAM or graphics cards not as good as promoted?
No, most engineers and manufactures of gaming Hardware doing a great job! The problem they are facing are just not solvable because the causes of fps drop or low fps are so various so high in numbers that it is not possible for a device producer to solve them all because their individual Hardware devices and connected Software are only one link in the chain!
Game performance outcome is global, means it does not only relay on one device! You can have the best gaming graphics card but if per example the CPU is not performing that fast or not that compatible with the game fps values will be limited or better said average. But gain it isn't that easy so we will look deeper in the causes of low fps values.
What Can Cause Low Fps Values?
1. Sow performing graphics cards.
2. Slow performing CPU.
3. Not sufficient or slow performing RAM.
4. Slow performing HDD.
5. Slow performing Motherboard.
6. Slow performing Operating System.
7. Too high or not supported graphics or video game settings.
8. Slow performing internet connection (online games).
9. Temperature or voltage problems of hardware devices.
10. Hardware that is not supported by the games system requirements.
11. Installed 3rd party Software causing performance loss due incompatibility.
12. Old or malfunctioning device drivers (graphics-, audio, network cards, motherboard or CPU).
13. Malfunctioning Hardware.
14. Software or driver conflicts.
15. Slow performing coolers (CPU, PSU, GPU).
16. Game server affected by high latency (online games).
17. Virus, malware or Trojans infection.
18. Not regularly updating the OS.
19. Port restrictions by Firewall, ISP or Router due malfunction or wrongly configured settings (online games).
20. Badly matched overall Hardware components ( Example: HDD not harmonizing with the motherboard).
21. And many more...
How To Increase Fps Values In Your Games?
As you already can see when looking on the list of possible causes of fps drop or permanently low fps values there are many reasons. You should now understand that it is not possible for one gaming Hardware manufacturer to eliminate all the causes. There are many causes that will need experienced and technically advanced users to track down and eliminate the causes in order to improve fps values. And some of the causes are even out of reach by the user himself.
An example is high latency by game server causing fps drop and you the user can not do anything to solve that problem as it it caused at the game server itself.
Here are some tips and tricks how to track down the reasons of low fps values and how to improve them:
1. Always ensure your Computers Hardware is supported by the system requirements of the game.
2. Regularly update all Hardware drivers and Operating System drivers.
3. Monitor temperature and voltage of PSU, CPU, GPU, HDD and Motherboard. There is Software to do so: this or this . Be informed that some BIOS versions also provide such info but the disadvantage is you will need to boot into BIOS to monitor the values.
4. Keep track of your internet connection speed and ping performance with this free Software
5. Repair internet connection problems with this Software.
6. Diagnose CPU, RAM, HDD and system processes and services via Performance Recorder and tweak and tune your OS to increase fps values with Latency Optimizer.
7. Create custom profile for every game you play in your graphics card settings manager provided by the manufacturer. Examples: Nvidia or AMD
8. Install Intel or AMD CPU tools from the manufacturer website: Intel – AMD
9. Disable or set resource consuming graphics and video in-game settings to minimum to increase performance and improve fps. Some examples of resource intensive in-game settings options: “Shadows”, “Depth of Field”, “Motion Blur”, “Dynamic Reflections”, “Super Sampling (SSAA)”.
10. Visit this Microsoft Windows support article for basic performance improvements of Windows 10.
11. Avoid playing on GSM or WiFi internet connection as the ping is very unstable, high latency is a fps killer!
12. The BIOS do also offer some settings that possible can increase overall performance, but be advised not to change any settings unlike you know what you are doing!
Changing any BIOS settings can be risky. If you decide to change BIOS settings you do that on your own risk!
Here a few examples that can increase performance:
a.) You can try to enable Non-uniform memory access (NUMA)
b.) You can try to enable Simultaneous multi-threading technology (SMT) on Intel systems
c.) RAM tweaks: Check your RAM manufacturers manual or website if they allow to set higher input voltages as BIOS defaults. Providing more power to the RAM increases signal stability.
d.) Boosting Memory Clock Speed brings the biggest performance boost but be advised to educate yourself about how to do it proper. You can google for “Boosting Memory Clock Speed” and visit experts websites for adequate information. Do not change the clock speed values unless you know what you are doing!
13. Almost every popular game provides some internal tips to improve the games performance. You are advised to visit the support section, forum or community website of your game and look out for such tips!
Increase Fps With Latency Optimizer