League Of Legends Lag Fix - New Solutions To Lower Ping & Improve Fps
- 2017.08.18 11:07
Over the last couple of years we covered quite some working solutions to help League of Legends players around the globe to fix their lag, ping, latency and fps problems. Today we decided to give you a brief summary of all the tips and tricks we provided to the players community since 2010 and added new findings that are conform with technology and in-game changes in 2017/2018.
League Of Legends Lag Fix: How To Lower Ping And Improve Fps
If you are not interested in understanding the basics of lag, ping and fps problems and the historical events you can skip this part now and jump directly to: “How To Fix League Of Legends Lag In 2017/2018” near the end of this article.
Back in the days gaming hardware and internet connection speed and stability wasn't as good as today, no question about it! No matter on which server you played your summoner lag, high ping and fps problems where real for most players the day or the other. A good share for the reasons why performance problems in League of Legends happened, applied to the game servers. Yes. Back in the days server technology wasn't that advanced then in today's time plus Internet Service Providers around the globe struggled with unstable lines and poor signals and not to forget bandwidth was quite limited.
Another huge factor was the not so advanced technology hardware manufacturers had to offer to gamers. They just started to concept and produce CPUs, RAMs, HDDs, graphics cards, audio cards and network cards specially made for gaming. Their goal was to provide high end hardware for games that demanded high performance.
Well, every League of Legends player knows that the system requirements are not that demanding and you are even able to play the game on computers that are some years old what brings us to the question:
Why League of Legends Players Still Struggle With Lag In Today's Times?
Today game server technology is more advanced. Master server concepts popping up and there was a punch of high latency reduction techniques that got implemented and there were big achievements made by creating new game server infrastructures around the globe by Riot.
(Exmaple image: Cisco ultra fast server 2017)
Internet Service Providers increased bandwidth, invested in infrastructures to provide more stable and much faster lines and WiFi signals became much stronger!
Today Computers are getting produced that satisfy every gamers needs. Nvidia and Radeon selling graphics cards that look and perform like they came out of a Sic-fi movie. Intel and AMD offering CPUs that are so fast that you can even earn money by mining Bitcoins while playing your favorite game and you will still have free resources left.
It can be said that:
“ Game server technology, internet connection speed and Computer hardware are very advanced, but still some League Of Legends players facing lag, ping and fps problems.”
So, if it is not the gamer server, internet connection or computers hardware that causes such problems, what else is left that could be responsible? The Operating System? Well, not everybody is a fan of Windows 10, but it must be said the performance compared with older Windows versions improved a lot! So what else is left? Why there are graphics or sound stuttering, slow mouse course movement, login and disconnection problems or delay in summoner action like running, jumping casting?
“There should be no lag, ping or fps problems in League of Legends in today's time with having such advanced technology, but yet there is!”
Let us take a closer look about the reasons that cause lag, ping and fps problems for League of Legends players
The major responsible links in the chain of lag, ping and fps causes are still the same as they were before:
A.) The League of Legends game servers
B.) Players Internet Service Provider
C.) Players Computer Hardware
D.) The Windows Operating System
The problem all gaming hardware manufacturers and game developers are facing when it comes to lag, ping and fps problems is that none of them can control or influence “all” the connected links in that chain!
For example: Riot has control on their game server infrastructure and of course of the game itself. However, they do not have control of their ISP connecting their game servers with the client, or the players ISP that connected the players computer with the League Of Legends game servers. Riot can demand system requirements for the game, but yet they cannot influence on the actual state of the existing hardware in the players computer. Riot can prepare and adapt their game code to perform fast on the Windows System, but again they cannot influence on existing performance problems a player might have with his Windows Operating Systems.
Sounds complicated? Read it gain!
There are four major links in the chain, but the links are controlled by at least six different kind of people (we call them people for now to make it easier to understand).
2. ISP of game server
3. Hardware manufacturer
5. Player IPS
6. The player himself
None of this six people can for real control the doings of the other people! That is the reason why lag, ping and fps problems will always happen and there is no solution out there that can solve all causes at once! On some way they are all independently functioning together.
Here is a more detailed view on the links in the chain that can cause lag, ping and fps problems
The League Of Legends Game Servers
Whenever one or more of the League of Legends gamer servers are affected by high latency players around the globe will experience lag, ping and fps problems. The reasons why high latency can happen are various starting by Riots game server infrastructure, their ISP or because Riot issues updates or make upgrades to their hardware.
Game servers can be also affected by high latency when too many players trying to login in same time or a server becomes overpopulated.
The Internet Connection Used To Play League Of Legends
In order to connect the players gaming client with the League of Legends game servers the player needs an active internet connection via his Internet Service Provider. Even if the game servers are stable and there is no sight of high latency that might be possible decease players ping and cause lag and fps drop the Internet Service Provider could face technical problems and the connection speed will slow down and the ping decreases. League of Legends will start to lag.
- We even know of mysteries where players try to connect to League of Legends via two different kind of ISP's from the same place from the same computer and still suffer from lag and they are certain that the game server is not the issue and the catch is that other games that do also require an active internet connection do work fine with one ISP, but not with the other. Now go figure! -
The Hardware Used To Play League Of Legends
There are a lot of situations when a League of Legends player ask himself how is it possible to suffer from fps drop or lag as he has the best available graphics card or CPU in his computer. Well, again we are coming to a chain, but this time another chain, the chain of connected hardware devices and how they do harmonize with each other.
- Unknown player has a 3 year old computer and decided to upgrade his graphics card. The GPU is at least two times faster and provides double RAM, yet the motherboard is not concept to get the most out of this new GPU even if its supported and the HDD has hard times to process all the calculation needed. <- Typical failure of upgrading hardware parts. -
Hardware can also malfunction or its drivers are out of date or suffering from conflicts.
The Windows Operating System And League Of Legends
As we all know, Microsofts Windows Operating System is not perfect, but yet the only OS that is easy to handle and globally wide-spread. The Operating System plays a major role in lag, ping and fps problems of every game not only League Of Legends! The Windows System is managing all available resources hardware and software wise. It would probably take another 2 – 3 pages to list all the possible causes of lag, ping and fps problems that have their roots in the Operating System or better said how the Operating System is handled by the player, installed hardware and 3rd party Software, not even to mention wrongly configured settings, processes, services or even infections... As said the list would be very long!
League Of Legends Game Settings
Here we come to an actual place where it is quite easy to make changes and adjust settings that can affect the performance of League of Legends. That said, you will believe it or not there is still confusion about the best settings to make to increase performance, fix lag or lower the ping in the game. Well the game settings are your first step in solving any issues you experience in the game and there are tons of videos at YouTube and dozens of articles showing you to make few of the limited changes the game offers to a player.
Usually it just requires common sens to make the right settings, but still players with not sufficient performing hardware trying to play the game on ultra high settings and then complain about its performance. To be fair there are some players that do have the required hardware to play on ultra high settings, but still they suffer from great performance loss resulting in lag and fps drop, but this is usually caused by malfunctioning hardware, conflicts or wrongly configured hardware or Operating System settings. However to this we will come later...
How To Fix League Of Legends Lag In 2017/2018
If you tooke the time and you were reading through this article until here, you probably already know what is coming next! Exactly our tips, tricks and working solutions to fix lag, ping and fps problems in League Of Legends in 2017/2018 and you will also not be suprised that there are not many “new” solutions as the reasons of lag, ping and fps problems didn't really change in todays times, no matter how advanced technology game servers are using, how ultra performing GPUs and CPUS became and how fast and stable internet connections became, not to mention all the efforts Microsoft made to the Windows Operating System.
Step by Step Instructions to fix lag ping and low fps in League of Legends
1. Start with the in-game settings and lower all graphics settings to “lowest” (minimum) this is essential in order to troubleshot wrong made settings or adjust them on your Computers and/or OS performance.
“There are no specific settings you will have to change in order to boost League of Legends performance or fix lag and improve fps. What works for one player doesn't necessarily mean it will work for the other. Keep this in mind!”
Here is an example of the League of Legends graphics settings to change to lowest:
Resolution: 800 x 600
Windowed Mode: Full Screen
Character Quality: Very Low
Environment Quality: Very Low
Effects Quality: Very Low
Shadows: No Shadow
Fast Terrain: Uncheck
Frame Rate Cap: Stable
Wait for V. Sync: Uncheck
2. If you noticed the lag is gone or the fps increases, then slightly adjust the graphics settings option per option to higher values. Always check back if you are still without lag and proper fps values! This troubleshooting method we highly recommend before taking any further steps.
3. Be egoistic and uninstall the Pando Media software to disallow other to download the installer of League of Legends from you. Pando Media is like a file sharing software and unless you are lag free , having stable fps and a flat rate internet connection uninstalling it is your best option for the purpose of increasing your own game performance.
4. Running speed and ping test 2- 3 times a day over a period of 2 -3 days can give you insight on the performance of your internet connection and can point you to possible technical issues of your ISP.
You can download this free speed and ping test where you can save your test results and compare them later time. You can also print the results and send an email to your ISP if you notice a quality drop of your line or signal that is not just temporary!
5. Download Latency Optimizer to diagnose your computers CPU, RAM, HDD, system services, processes and internet connection performance behavior. You can use the integrated Performance Recorder and record 10 – 20 minutes of your game play. Read carefully through the log file of the Performance Recorder and look out for any abnormalities that could point you to the lag, ping or fps problem you experience.
6. Tweak and tune your Operating System, boost your network adapter, internet connection settings, optimize your computers and internet's latency and boost your System Memory with the provided tools of Latency Optimizer.
7. Obligatory check for new Windows, drivers and game updates.
8. Troubleshoot malfunctioning Hardware like RAM, HDD and CPU via these tools:
1. RAM checker here:
2. HDD checker here:
3. CPU benchmark here:
4. GPU monitor here:
5. DirectX test
To start the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click Start, click Run, type dxdiag in the Open box, and then click OK.
9. Monitor temperature and voltage of fans, Motherboard, HDD, CPU, PSU and GPU with this software
10. If you did not solve your problems until now double-check that there are no temporary game server problems via the League of Legends support website.
11. It might be the time to re-install League of Legends and if this does not help your Operating System is next.
12. If you tried all the above-mentioned solutions you might want to bring your Computer to the service and /or upgrade to new and better Hardware.